As I mentioned on Facebook previously, two years ago for christmas I made a pirate map and my son found a treasure chest buried in our yard. Last year I buried a treasure chest for my son and he led me to the treasure at Wheedon Island.
This year, I’d like to have him find a treasure chest with a clue to a multi year puzzle. He finds these treasure chests based on maps “left by the pirates” every year at Christmas.
Here is what I’m thinking about doing:
- Include water in this year’s search. There’s a beach nearby that has rocks and a relatively flat area that could easily be recruited for this purpose. I’m thinking perhaps Lassing park….or the beach by North Shore pool. Lassing park is a good one from no one seeing me bury the thing, but not good because he’s never gone there.
- Include riddle as part of this year’s puzzle; this adds complexity as it will mean I’ll need to sneak where ever I hide the treasure after he solves it and before he can go there to prevent someone from finding it prematurely.
- Inlcude a key in this year’s chest that would unlock the multi year chest. This requires that I have the at least next year’s lock before I bury the treasure.
- Use a fake hash/code this year, and next year include the solution for the hash. Basically, what I’m leaving this year would mean nothing, and I’d use riddles/puzzles two years from now to give him the location of the final treasure. This will give him the time he needs to get better at researching/puzzles/reading.
So in summary:
- This year includes bs code in the chest he finds that will be unlocked two years from now via riddles/puzzles
- Next year would be a physical key in his treasure chest
- This means I need to not wait until the last minute to get the chest (or at least the lock).
- Third year chest would include the key, or clues, to unlock the riddles to give the location to the chest.
This really means that I need to get hustling on this years chest, and puzzles sorted out. I believe I may have this years chest be some sackcloth or a similar material and have the code be sewn/painted onto it; it could potentially wrap up this year’s haul of treasure and I could point it out to him if he doesn’t notice it.